June 18, 2011

I love being a dad

I love being a dad. Although I've messed things up and I'll make more mistakes and missteps, I love being a dad. I don't get it right. I don't know the future. I say the wrong things. I love being a dad. About the time I might have something figured out, things change. The kids grow to young adults, their lives change, they make plans and prepare for the next phase of their lives. I love being a dad. I'm sentimental. I love looking at old pictures. I see the promises of my own life fading as the winds of time wear them down little by little. I have hope because of Jesus. I love being a dad. I miss my dad - another father's day without him here. I remember his advice and support and just plain fatherly love. I love being a dad. I lose focus. I chase the wrong things. I get distracted. I forget the most important things in life. I love being a dad. I've never been a coach. I'm not much for sports. I get preoccupied with work. I complain a lot. I love being a dad.

I am a dad only because of my children. I love being a dad because I love them. It's not about me. It's about them. I love being a dad because of the special people God has gifted into my life, for me to care for and provide for and support and love and be loved by.

I'm far from perfect, much closer to broken, but I still love being a dad. Thank you kids, for all that you do. I love you.

No comments: