April 10, 2011

Miscellanies

Hello dear readers. A handful of thoughts tonight.




  • I'm currently reading through some of John Murray's shorter articles. I like Murray. The portrait on the dust cover presents a sober visage. I am sure many students beaded up under his... oversight. :-) One thing that truly encourages me as I read Murray is his admitted debt to the work of B. B. Warfield in the area of inspiration. It is strengthening to see someone of Murray's spiritual and intellectual stature reaping the benefits of another's work.



  • It's good to see several conservative theologians taking on Rob Bell's book. I'm sure it will prove to be short-lived, but then again Bell has a committed audience and has already been around for several years with controversy swirling at various times. Nevertheless, I hope the current focused controversy on universalism (and lesser-so Bell's attack on substitutionary atonement) will be used to deliver helpful responses for the church at large.



  • The Lord has been rich in mercy towards me, allowing me to serve my local church in several ways over the years. It has been a joy and continues to be a high-point in my life - both the preparation time and teaching/mentoring opportunities. While I enjoy online ministry, witnessing, and apologetics; it is in the life flow of the church and direct, personal ministry and friendship that brings the most joy and the better harvest. In my mind's eye, I hope to have time to research and write in the coming years - God willing. But if it is not to be, I rest in my Savior's mercies and will walk with my family and church family, resting in Jesus.



  • I started reading Tom Schreiner's book on the apostle Paul over a year ago. In the last three years, I have tried to take to heart the advice of several prolific readers to not get bogged down in footnotes and references on the first read of a book. I was enjoying Schreiner's work but then mis-stepped and fell into the morass of footnotes and references. It killed my reading of the book, or, I should say, it was at least partially the cause ... my job also has seriously impacted everything I've been able to do for the last 8 months. I don't know what your reading habits are, but if you're struggling to stay connected with a good work, read the main text and keep moving.



  • My pastor started a new men's Bible study recently. We are walking through one chapter of Ephesians every two weeks. I'm really enjoying the study and getting to know the men better. We have a dozen men ranging from 18-60+ years. Much to be learned from these brothers.



  • Prayer. Yes, prayer. Many thanks my church for holding up my family in prayer.


It is back to work tomorrow, so will be a few days before I can write again. It feels like my job is starting to return to something more 'normal'. Hoping the trend continues.

No comments: