April 5, 2010

A little somethin' somethin'

Here's a brief update on where I'm at and what direction I hope to take in the next few months.




I've been reading, studying, and praying a lot about the atonement. It has occupied the majority of my studies for the last few months and likely will for a few more. I've read Leon Morris' popular work The Atonement and his much longer The Cross in the New Testament, finishing a few weeks ago (I still need to compile my notes/quotes from that one - there are plenty). I'm currently reading Jeffery, Ovey, and Sach's Pierced for Our Transgressions; which is proving to be quite dense and taking much longer to read than I had anticipated. Once I'm done with that, I found an old work by Charnock on Google Books that I've printed off, Discourses on Christ Crucified. It's on the top of my 'next to read' pile. It's relatively short and I've liked the snippets I've caught of it. I'm looking forward to spending some time getting to know Charnock the preacher. In the wings I have Carson's new book Scandalous, and Edwards and Shaw's Divine Substitute. Once I have digested those, I hope to tackle Owen's Death of Death in the Death of Christ.




On the blog and website front, I want to go back to my static (only because of my inattention) website and put together an introductory overview and response to the Jehovah's Witnesses. I've got a lot of notes and ideas and need to get back to publishing them through the site & blog. I will continue the series through Philippians on the blog. It is becoming one of my favorite books of the Bible.




All of this sounds quite daunting for me personally. I ask the good Lord of mercy and strength to magnify Him in everything.




My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalms 73:26)

No comments: