December 8, 2008

16 Years

16 Years
by Diane Sherrill


I'll never forget
the day
you came into my life
three weeks early
quiet
your bright eyes
looking into mine

The love I felt
intense, instant
it took me
by suprise
nothing has ever compared

Such a good baby
through
pokes and tests
at six weeks
even surgery
infections
hospital stays
still...
your eyes shown bright
as you squeezed
my finger
as if to say
"I trust you mom,
I love you"

Alone and struggling
just you and me
my one and only
the reason
I kept going

You needed me
I needed you more

My stubborn
willful girl
potty training was a struggle
then one day
"I big girl now"
and it was done

The years go by
we cope
many moves
apartments
houses
people come
and go
broken promises
hearts
lives

I made choices
that weren't the best
for us
for you
I pray that
you know
I thought it was right
at the time

Some people say
I spoil you
I say
I love you

A man came into
our lives
my husband
he took you in
called you his own
love, trust
blooms
where once
was only pain

Through the years
you have been
my joy
my Gem
tried my patience
and believed in me
like no other

16 years
laughter and tears
conversations
lectures
good times
and bad
but always
Love
commitment
caring

I don't know
what the years
will bring
for you
for me
for us
for our family

I do know
you will always be
my heart
my joy
my one and only
baby girl

I believe in you
you have a big heart
a delicate soul
a treasure of kindness
an innocence that I hope
never goes away
a way of looking at the world
I pray never changes

I wish you
Love
peace
joy
patience
kindness
goodness
gentleness
self control

I love you
XOXO mom

No comments: